Saturday, February 23, 2013

Lessons Learned From A Baby Boy

It has been quite a couple of weeks!!!  Preston had his pull through /colostomy reversal surgery for hirschbrung's disease.  It has been looming over us since he was a few weeks old.  Such an intense and long surgery (6 hours) for a little dude and he did great!  So scary sending him in, but he came through it like a champ, as he always does.  How does someone so little contain so much strength?  Does it make sense that the strongest person I know is my almost 11 month old son?  He had to be in such intense pain afterwards, but he hardly complained.  He went days without eating and has the worst case of diaper rash (because he never used his hinee before).  Yet he still was/is in good spirits.

That boy amazes me every day.  He teaches us so much about what life is about.  Don't sweat the small stuff!  Think about some of the things you fret over every day.....is it worth the worry?  Things have a way of working out, don't spend your life worrying about things that are so out of your control.  Preston has been through so much in his short life, yet he still has a sweet smile on his face.  A smile that melts my heart and makes me love and admire him even more.

Preston makes me feel like anything is possible.  A year ago I was a blubbering mess, thinking about how sorry I felt for myself that my baby may be born with Down's Syndrome and would need a surgery hours after birth, now here I am after his 3rd surgery and am so different.  Well for one I am not nearly as hormonal as I was then, but I have a new confidence, I know he is in God's hand and will be ok!  I handle all this so much better than the woman from a year ago did.  Preston has passed along a bit of his strength to his mommy and daddy.  If our sweet boy can go through all that he has and still be our sweet happy baby, we can control ourselves and trust the Lord that he will take care of him.

Preston is such a tough little dude.  He can teach us all something about life.  The next time a situation arises and you think you do not have the strength to handle it, think of Preston and know if he can overcome all that he has so can you!


2 comments:

  1. He's so strong! And I'm so glad he's doing okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is one tough cookie! He is in the ICU at the moment, but getting better :) If you want to follow him on Facebook, that is way more up to date because I am too lazy to write a blog post every day :)
      https://www.facebook.com/prayersforprestont

      Delete